Cumbria, CA8 7AU
Who we are:
DNV Spadeadam is a world-renowned Major Hazards Research and Testing facility in Cumbria. The unique work we do at our full-scale fire and explosion test site, is at the heart of the global Energy Transition to a more decarbonised and secure world. For nearly 50 years our projects have helped the energy, counter terrorism and security sectors innovate with new technologies, and our findings help inform, guide and advise industry, ensuring it continues to enhance its ability to protect people, property and our environment.
Situated on the Cumbrian side of the border with Northumberland, Spadeadam provides the opportunity to live and work in a truly unique and beautiful area of the UK – you can choose to live rurally in the myriad of local villages and market towns, or in the cities of Carlisle or Newcastle, both within striking distance of the Northumberland and Lake District National Parks. Two coastlines are available to explore, along with the World Heritage Site of Hadrian’s Wall.
Do you want to contribute to the Energy Transition and work with global companies in a fast-moving environment? Are you practically minded, passionate about learning new skills and love working outdoors?
As a Hazard Awareness Technician, you will join our growing successful team who deliver large scale demonstrations to global companies. After the Piper Alpha disaster, the Cullen report made a number of recommendations including highlighting the need for Major Accident Hazard Awareness training. This is the foundation for our courses and the reason behind their delivery. The nature of our Spadeadam Research and Test site, enables us to invite and collaborate with, organisations across our industry, giving them access to a unique range of courses and demonstrations, helping raise awareness and mitigate against risks to people property and the environment.
In this role you will be responsible for:
· Preparing and checking our demonstration rigs, ensuring that they are set up correctly, safely and restocked with the appropriate gas cylinders/fuel
· Liaising with your Team Lead and other technicians to ensure tasks are correctly assigned for the demonstrations/course
· Communicating with Control Manager and Course Facilitator, to ensure schedules are kept to and safety barriers are correctly opened and closed to maintain controlled zones and overall safety
· Checking demonstration rigs post demonstration, isolating gas supply as appropriate and ensuring demonstration area is tidy and re-set for next course
· Attending HAZID meetings and keeping your knowledge up to date on current test procedures
More information on our Hazard Awareness Courses and what we do here at Spadeadam, can be found by clicking on the links below:
What you will bring:
The unique nature of our site and the work we do here, means that it’s unlikely that you will already possess the precise background or skills from day one, however if you have previous gas fitting experience or worked within the gas industry, this could be a fantastic opportunity for you.
You will need to have good communication skills and must be able to adapt quickly and efficiently in our fast-moving environment. Ideally, you will have an NVQ in General or Mechanical Engineering and a HNC (or be willing to study for one) – to develop new skills and benefit from the training and support that we will provide. Practical skills of an equivalent level will also be considered.
As a Hazard Awareness Technician, you will be supporting numerous courses every week. This will require good organisational skills and the ability to use your initiative to prioritise tasks in order to deliver the customer’s requirements. You will be an integral part of a busy team working at a very high standard within a pre-agreed schedule.
Due to the location of our site, you must be able to obtain and maintain a UK Security Clearance, (application for clearance will be assisted by DNV). A current, clean driving licence would also be preferable as the site is not accessible by public transport.
What you will receive in return:
We value all of our people and the contribution they make to our business, so it’s important that our rewards make us all feel valued here. That’s why we recognise individual needs and offer a flexible reward and benefits package, allowing you to choose the things that matter to you, including;
· Excellent career progression opportunities, with the resources to support your development, and the freedom to satisfy your curiosity and desire to learn
· Non contractual Profit Share scheme
· Lifestyle benefits: 26 days annual leave + bank holidays, opportunity for up to 10 days unpaid leave, sabbatical leave, flexible working options
· Wellbeing benefits: (inc Private Medical and Dental Insurance, Health Assessments, Gym allowance). Company contribution towards eye tests and glasses (for computer/laptop users), and Flu Vaccinations. Also, our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides free and confidential support for issues including work, family, relationships, money and health and we provide free fruit in our offices
· Financial Benefits: including a Pension Scheme with employer pension contributions up to 9%, Life Assurance and Income Protection
· Travel benefits: Season Ticket Loan, Cycle to Work Scheme, Electric Vehicle Salary Sacrifice Scheme (for personal use)
· Re-imbursement of relevant Professional Membership Fees (up to £500)
· Access to employee retail discount site for high street and on-line shopping
As many people who join us at Spadeadam need to move to be closer to our location, we provide bespoke support to help you both relocate and settle into the local area.
If you are a dedicated team player with a passion for innovation and a commitment to excellence, we encourage you to apply and bring your unique skills to our dynamic and growing team. Our application deadline is 13th October, however we reserve the right to close sooner, so please click here to apply.